Wednesday, July 23, 2003

Will wonders never cease:

  • Will the Real Bill Clinton Please Stand Up!


  • In an interview with Larry King, former President Clinton said that at the end of his term, there was "a substantial amount of biological and chemical material unaccounted for ." He went on to say, "So I thought it was prudent for the president to go to the U.N. and for the U.N. to say, 'You got to let these inspectors in, and this time if you don't cooperate the penalty could be regime change, not just continued sanctions." Finally, President Clinton stated, "People can quarrel with whether we should have more troops in Afghanistan or internationalize Iraq or whatever, but it is incontestable that on the day I left office, there were unaccounted for stocks of biological and chemical weapons."

    Addressing the manufactured scandal involving the allegations that Iraq was seeking uranium, the former President said: "I thought the White House did the right thing in just saying 'we probably shouldn't have said that,' " He went on to say, "You know, everybody makes mistakes when they are president," (I will refrain from making any jokes) Finally he said, "I mean, you can't make as many calls as you have to make without messing up once in awhile. The thing we ought to be focused on is what is the right thing to do now. That's what I think."

    I can not comment on this story. I do not know what to say. The only thing my cynicism of Bill Clinton leads me to ask is what is the political play? What are his goals? Or, is Bill Clinton trying to establish an after the fact legacy like former President Carter has done? Only time will tell.